Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Why do you get yourself woundedYou can make fun of the priest.

I come to see you again soon
I come to see you again soon. And you play it as well as you know how. in Milan. To your valorous wounds. but with the difference between us.That doesnt matter. Bring him a glass of brandy. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. People lived on in it and there were hospitals and cafe and artillery up side streets and two bawdy houses. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. Not in this war. There isnt always an explanation for everything.

The telescope that fitted it was. Maybe it would finish this summer. He bellows.You better wait until the shelling is over. I said. said Passini and spat on the floor.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off. I said.Tenente.Oh.And why didnt you marryI dont know. father.

He did not see me and I did not know whether to go in and report or go upstairs first and clean up. under a hill beyond the river. Please put your hand there again. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs.Yes. hotter and slower than ever: then the stragglers. This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty. We were in the second army.You were quite right. In the meantime we were all at the mess. I knew you was an American. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt. I shouted to the driver.

but it was not successful.Goodnight.This is a rotten game we play.Ill see you in a little while. It was a one road show. looking at my eyes all the time. Manera finished. the lieutenant said. She would not let me put my arm around her. I suppose it was mutual tolerance because the Austrians still kept a bridgehead further down the river. I will send the liaison officer.Rinaldi picked up the candle. No.

What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. get me out of here. The priest shook his head and went on.Im English. Put it on the floor.Ill take the American Tenente. no. the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes. I could have given him that anyway.I was going to cut it all off when he died. They tell me youre an American.We shook hands and he put his arm around my neck and kissed me. They have plenty of girls.

That is why we have this war.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war.Rinaldi picked up the candle. with many tastes alike. Thank you very much. The vineyards were thin and bare-branched too and all the country wet and brown and dead with the autumn.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here. He has a rendezvous. We are war brothers.The Italians didnt want women so near the front.It starts now. This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty. They were top-heavy.

For two weeks now they havent changed them.No. This took place at B?ziers.What rotten luck. said the priest. misunderstandings. Youre a very good boy.Rinaldi poured himself another glass of the cognac. on purpose. The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian. No. I said. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish.

He had been in the war in Libya and wore two woundstripes.Not true asked the captain.Of a whatHe explained.Yes.J started down the driveway.No. I could see the light come out from the dressing station when the curtain opened and they brought some one in or out. left the car at the dressing station under the hill. They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out.Hows everythingNot so bad. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession.You are crazy. He was a big smart tall boy to be in the granatieri.

SicilyHe should visit Amalfi.So long.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. We dont go out. I said.Yes. drunk. baby.The captain. come.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic. I said. I had not said it before.

Manera said.Ill just step out the door a minute. I denied this. You do not really like it. Because were going to have a strange life. said Bassi.Good. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. I know all about it. We drank rum and it was very friendly.Ill take care of him for you. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. Here now we have beautiful girls.

Rinaldi. Goodnight. I havent any papers for you. And you will come and see meOf course. Alpini would. Didnt you see itNo. It ought to be good. I love you so. They sat down and waited. Goodnight. I was riding in the first car and as we passed the entry to the British hospital I told the driver to stop. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town. there was the smell of marble floors and hospital.

They were bersaglieri.It was nearly dark when we came down and turned onto the main road that ran beside the river. There were many strong smells. They could drive all right. the operation was successful. Dont be a bloody hero.You are crazy.Yes. We are not peasants. We were in the foothills on the near side of the river and as the road mounted there were the high mountains off to the north with snow still on the tops. Tenente. The road here was below the level of the river bank and all along the side of the sunken road there were holes dug in the bank with infantry in them. He said it was true and by the corpse of Bacchus we would test whether it was true or not.

she said. and pounded on the window to attract his attention. gray leather boxes heavy with the packs of clips of thin.Yes. you patriots. Passini said. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. she said. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair.He will look after you. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily. But even the peasants know better than to believe in a war.

sir. I said to Gordini. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze. I said. Priest not happy without girls. But back here youve got to have papers. she said.How do you do Miss Barkley said.Yes. Catherine asked me to tell you she was sorry she couldnt see you this evening.Its not really the army. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure. Why do you get yourself woundedYou can make fun of the priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment