Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This machine is no good but the others march.He walked across to the dressing station.

Gordini got up and ran for the dugout
Gordini got up and ran for the dugout. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. she said.Yes.Oh.Its Manera. where I sat with a friend and two glasses drinking a bottle of Asti. Passini said. Where have you beenCalling on the British. I will. What made it pretty was that it sounded like Island. wont you She looked up at me. the water clear.

I said.Not true asked the captain. Baby is puzzled. There were three doctors that I knew. The dead were off to one side. For two weeks now they havent changed them. We wont drop you again.Ill bring it to you. chemical smells and the sweet smell of blood.Come on.How you like this goddam warRotten. The Italian salute never seemed made for export.Good evening.

Priest not happy.It was dark outside and the long light from the search lights was moving over the mountains. when you lie here all the time in the hot weather dont you get excitedSometimes. a few freshly washed. I remembered where I was going. And in the town we have beautiful English girls. Not very well. The priest shook his head and went on. There. Not Bacchus. It might be good though.Poor man. Priest not happy without girls.

That doesnt matter. The doctors were working with their sleeves up to their shoulders and were red as butchers. I think so. I wont kiss you if you dont want.It is very valuable.Oh. I went out swiftly. but the nights were cool and there was not the feeling of a storm coming.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked.The battery in the next garden woke me in the morning and I saw the sun coming through the window and got out of the bed. I had gone to no place where the roads were frozen and hard as iron. You mustnt take everything so literally. Miss Barkley said.

A shell burst short near the river bank. I am very moved to see you badly wounded. He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up. He saw us and smiled. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched.In Milano.SeeI put my Saint Anthony back in the capsule.The major spoke to an orderly who went out of sight in the back and came back with a metal basin of cold cooked macaroni. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. dusty and tired.Im perfectly all right. I said. The road went up the valley a long way and then we turned off and commenced to climb into the hills again.

Tenente. stupid from inexperience. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. Its only a little sometimes. The pain hasnt started yet. I said and poured the basin full of water. Because were going to have a strange life. I made sure he was dead. Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris. We sat on the ground with our backs against the wall and smoked. There are a few real wounded.I dont believe a word of this. Where have you beenCalling on the British.

Tenente. the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations. In Pittsburgh. I had it in the car. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark. It would only be worse if we stopped fighting.Tonight you will tell me everything. I saw the blanket open.And the priest was locked up. how do you feel Where is that damn corkscrew You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering. I said. Do you think I would do right to marry Miss Barkleyafter the war of courseAbsolutely. Outside the window it was a lovely spring morning.

You will please come and make me a good impression on her.Who goes to the attack asked Gavuzzi. Tenente. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit. Oh Jesus shoot me Christ shoot me mama mia mama Mia oh purest lovely Mary shoot me.Im all right. This was a joke. Inside they were operating on all the tables. This was a joke. We stopped at the side of the road.Ill get some. she said.Bring good opera disks.

Start in to eat. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut.Also they make money out of it. I am positive you will get the silver. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. father.Do you suppose it will always go onNo. said Rinaldi. But back here youve got to have papers. Dio te salve. The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule. You will please come and make me a good impression on her. baby.

He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations.No. I know all about it. Everybody is proud of you. the light came out and he went in. Tenente. wash it out. She would not let me put my arm around her. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine.Im afraid it will make it bigger. said Passini. First we passed the regiment. he said when he saw me.

The lighter was shaped like a Fiat radiator. She put it in my hand. I went with him and found the dugout. we are.I have one.I dried my hands and took out my pocketbook from the inside of my tunic hanging on the wall. Oh oh oh oh. and stood up. And you play it as well as you know how. They come and make you be a soldier again. I could go to Spain if there was no war. They could drive all right. I got a rupture.

Passini shook his head.It could not be worse. He slapped me on the shoulder. I hope you feel better. They were laughing.Thank you very much.Let me feel it. Gordini could not drive.But now we will shut up. We were in the foothills on the near side of the river and as the road mounted there were the high mountains off to the north with snow still on the tops. looking for cuts or stone bruises. The others listened. I turned her so I could see her face when I kissed her and I saw that her eyes were shut.

What hit youMe. He stooped to go under the doorway and went out. I followed his hands with my eyes. Didnt you refuse to be medically aided before the othersNot very firmly.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack. gonorrhea. the steel helmet on the same peg. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town. I said.Im going on.Im English. Its much cooler. the steel helmet on the same peg.

You did exactly right.She was unclasping something from her neck. Stop it. It was hard and slippery. then we started. Three others were up in the mountains at dressing stations. havent youYes. No.J started down the driveway. The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian.No. This machine is no good but the others march.He walked across to the dressing station.

No comments:

Post a Comment