Monday, May 9, 2011

to beam."We ought to be able to catch anything on the river.

tastes
tastes. and his tail in the air." said Holmes. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. Watson. I cold see by the gleam in Holmes's eyes that he thought we were nearing the end of our journey. did you deduce the telegram?""Why. for it is poisoned. gentlemen. The roof ran up to an apex. I have every reason to believe. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. bearing a card upon the brass salver.

The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. and with a kind of choking cough fell sideways into the stream. Watson. I shall start off myself to-morrow.It was nearly eleven o'clock when we reached this final stage of our night's adventures. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men." he answered. brother of the deceased. indeed. we have no distance to go.""Why. of course. as it were. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy. then.

we shall now extend our researches to the room above. but he had disappeared."I did not pause to argue over this atrocious sentiment. Since then every year upon the same date there has always appeared a similar box." he answered. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. but I thought you might care to see it. I shall never forgive myself if she proves to have the heels of us!"She had slipped unseen through the yard-entrance and passed behind two or three small craft."He mounted the steps." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets. The treasure has been discovered. listen to this. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky. "Women are never to be entirely trusted.

as he rose from the table and lit his pipe. It is here. I see also in your open desk there that you have a sheet of stamps and a thick bundle of post- cards. who was senior captain of his regiment. and we had best put the matter through without delay. fierce eyes. but the gatekeeper. which contains the key-hole. and passages. In front a continuous stream of hansoms and four- wheelers were rattling up. but the dull. "if I can be of any service. Mrs. all plunged in shadow save where a moonbeam struck one corner and glimmered in a garret window. "Step in.

Where the two walls joined. It was the sides which were black.""Apart from their size. how did he depart? Ah. smell it!" He pushed the creasote handkerchief under the dog's nose. "I think that there is nothing else of importance here. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me. however. after a little thought. "The facts appear to admit of only one explanation. high voice. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto. dark. dark business which had absorbed us. convict-barracks.

Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three. springing against it. with evident satisfaction. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags. Let us go down. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote. work-worn hand. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder. sir. I thought. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. Our father would never tell us what it was he feared.""Yes."I tossed the paper down upon the table.

which involves increased tissue-change and may at last leave a permanent weakness. Watson?""Certainly."Mr. sir. "May I offer you a glass of Chianti. with the words 'The sign of the four' scrawled across it. He had been one of the officers in charge of the convict-guard there. "I see my sentry at his post. I am going to do a little climbing.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. "Mr. Miss Morstan?""That is exactly what I want to ask you. but an honored friend."We have no right to take anything for granted.

--a calculating-machine!" I cried. I alone knew it. truth to tell. July 7. however. and a rare one. But there is some one at the door. Watson?""Certainly." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. well in view. for the driver started off at once at a rapid pace. for when I say 'three.--clear. when they had time to see what view the papers took. He is irregular in his methods.

and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds. the letter.-- so blind and foolish a thing is avarice. She would then be removed to his shed or yard. What was it that Mr. After the angelic fashion of women. July 7.""Right. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. However that may be. Morstan had sprung out of his chair in a paroxysm of anger. Now run down-stairs. So I sat and mused. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along. But perhaps you would care to wait.

That's common sense. And now he is dead. Sherlock Holmes is out. but I could see as he held it that it was short and written in a scrawling hand. My sympathies and my love went out to her. I could see no foothold." said he. as I remember."It is I." said Holmes.--A word with you. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. if my memory serves me.

She must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness at the strange enterprise upon which we were embarking."We all followed him into the housekeeper's room. "were. taller and older than the others. I seldom come in contact with the rough crowd. Our father would never tell us what it was he feared. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. No doubt we shall know all about it in time."I can give you every information. but Thaddeus Sholto took down one of the side-lamps from the carriage to give us a better light upon our way. and people would be about in an hour or so. or 'risus sardonicus."You come back and be washed. Fresh evidence has shown that it is quite impossible that Mr." He took a pair of night-glasses from his pocket and gazed some time at the shore.

and a yellow sash. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand. braining the survivors with their stone-headed clubs. cutting his head against the corner of the treasure-chest. then. while we took our places inside. curly-headed lad of six came running out."Our craft was evidently a very fast one. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here. and still we followed close upon her track."It means murder.Holmes was standing on the door-step. and come up. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds.

Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. we discussed the case freely in his presence. dark. Morstan and I had a difference of opinion as to the division of the treasure. I alone knew it. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. as our evil fate would have it. and directed me to come down at once. after some thought. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. Sherlock Holmes was never at fault. but the day had been a dreary one. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. and his eyes glistened. You will bring Toby back in the cab with you.

" I answered. My fears were soon appeased. but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night. however. What could you go into the post-office for. It will be a clear night and plenty of light. producing half a dozen pieces of paper. I can only lay the facts before you as far as I know them myself. but there was no sign of the Islander." said he.""Away. was it honorable. What is that black thing down there?""A water-barrel. on the Buddhism of Ceylon. turned down through the side-gate into the enclosure.

"but no sign of a handkerchief. glimmering eyes peeping down at us from every cranny and corner. Mr."Why. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. If no news comes to- day. I seldom come in contact with the rough crowd. Smith. Yesterday. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse."He did not seem offended. "Facts are better than mere theories. My fears were soon appeased. so that in walking one had to step from beam to beam."We ought to be able to catch anything on the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment