Tuesday, May 10, 2011

He saw us and smiled.

The men were hot and sweating
The men were hot and sweating. Look how you are wounded.I am happy. I said. He said it was true and by the corpse of Bacchus we would test whether it was true or not. It was a nuisance to have them there but it was a comfort that they were no bigger. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away.That road will be a dirty mess. I wish she were here now.He was a very nice boy.Im afraid it will make it bigger. and a roar that started white and went red and on and on in a rushing wind. I saw that word pricked him and kept on.

like bridge. We were in the second army.Sometimes in the dark we heard the troops marching under the window and guns going past pulled by motor-tractors. go to hell. the captain said looking at the priest and at me. I come to see you again soon. I am now in love with Miss Barkley.This isnt a deep dugout. Rinaldi shook his head. They are too stupid. I thought.What the hell. she said.

Baby is puzzled. would you he asked.I went along the narrow road down toward the river. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk. lootenant. Goodnight.Cough. She was crying.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. she said. He shook his head at me. He paused and thought. What hit youMe.

I said. There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office. They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike.Goodnight. stupid from inexperience.And the priest was locked up. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. For two weeks now they havent changed them. if the war should end. she said.Yes. That should handle them.He will look after you.

To the north we could look across a valley and see a forest of chestnut trees and behind it another mountain on this side of the river. and mark a cross on both legs. Thats over for the evening. I suppose.No. My knee wasnt there. Then in Italian: Lift him very carefully about the legs.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. It had been impossible to advance on the far side the year before because there was only one road leading down from the pass to the pontoon bridge and it was under machinegun and shell fire for nearly a mile. As I looked out at the garden I heard a motor truck starting on the road. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily. I feigned acquaintance. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain.

Uninformed. Its only the ambulance. We talk too much even for the Tenente.He stood up and put on his gloves. put their stretchers down. Somebody was singing. He slapped his gloves on the edge of the bed.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding).Wait a minute. I will.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away. But those grenadiers; all over six feet.

the gas mask in an oblong tin can. long 6.All right. stepping carefully among the wounded. spaced by the interval of their dust. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot. He stopped working and smiled. dropping them in a basin.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned. wore his black boots. I breathed and I was back. I said.

They sent me the little stick. With your priest and your English girl. The frescoes were not bad.Id really rather. sometimes it backed on a turn. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations. get me out of here. I wanted to go to the Black Forest. You cant. You should go to Rome. Name he asked softly. Your lovely cool goddess. Milan.

Abbastanza bene. He brought them over to me.That was because it was first. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once. But back here youve got to have papers.Id really rather. I said.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand. They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out. jaundice.All right. Everybody is proud of you. The little major looked at us furious.

she said. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. What if we take San Gabriele What if we take the Carso and Monfalcone and Trieste Where are we then Did you see all the far mountains to day Do you think we could take all them too Only if the Austrians stop fighting. There are much worse wounded than me. the leather shiny with oil.Its way out. Mr. he said. Every night priest five against one! They all laughed again. She stood up and put out her hand. Milan. Not in this ambulance business. They had always cracked in other wars.

I kissed both her shut eyes. It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed.He took off his gloves.Goodnight.No. Fillipo Vincenza.Ill be right here. But if you have had it you know. Back at the villa I went upstairs to the room. but it was not Catherine. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta.

baby. They come and make you be a soldier again.I went out to look at the cars and see what was going on and then came back and sat down in the dugout with the four drivers. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. The stream kept on. Passini said still respectfully. I threw away the goddam truss so it would get bad and I wouldnt have to go to the line again.I have to go. not good by.AnotherAll right.Goodnight.Thank you very much.

Yes. That is very clear. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni.Ill see you in a little while.You will. in which you said things instead of playing cards. maggiore (next to the little finger). Villa San Giovanni. crossing out everything except. Are you coming to nightNo.Tenente. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains. cartridges.

I pressed her hand. But I do with you. We dont go out.Shes Scotch. Ive seen the holes. The little major looked at us furious. Mama mama mia. You do not really like it. But millions of fools like you dont know it. Bring a glass. Jt was warm and like the spring and I walked down the alleyway of trees.Open the bottle. I said.

You have a good time The others all grinned too. You cant. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons. Sometimes I think you and he are a little that way. It came down through the forest in sharp turns.How are you. The priest was good but dull. That is very clear.No. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar. He stopped the car and looked in through the hole behind his seat. He saw us and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment