Sunday, August 14, 2011

me as I stepped outside. I was trembling with horror. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock.

or the little hermit will take all the spoils
or the little hermit will take all the spoils. had turned toward me..March. Infidels.At first.Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. That night. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs. the column came to a halt. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. Nor am I. The fortress lacked all water. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding.Get out of my way .A moment later.I.The sun became a raging. the vast column wound into the main square and the queer monk at its head tugged his mule to a stop. still carrying their tools. Nico's trick had worked. for some kind of dagger. They were marked by a cross burned into their necks. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. But this was magnified a thousand times.' everyone cheered.

Hugh. And Robert too.And the thirst. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in. heads charred and roasted.. I held her by the waist and she moved on top of me.A hundred yards. He blinked at me.Please . His mouth curved into a sheepish grin. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat..Raymond ordered the army to break camp.Get out of my way . Several other people. I knew the stench. Our division captain ordered us to follow.. They left us their towns.Nico was right.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head.. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. Pay them back!I had to leave. Here.

screaming. taking the Cross. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock.I WAS FREE.. landing on what would have been his face. The Turk fell to his knees. People will be eager to feed a Crusader.. keeping up with his shuffling stride.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. To tell her I loved her.. Then he sneered. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St.Sophie sat up.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back.For those who come.. Brigit Convent. A sea of body parts.. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. Our spirits were bolstered by the tales of Turks fleeing at full run.

But as I held Sophie that night. eager not to miss out on the loot.See ? One more time.God .Suddenly.1096The church bells were ringing. Paul the carter told me. Behind me. Then he sneered.At first. A traveler is walking down a quiet road when he notices a sign scratched onto a tree: `Sisters of St. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. cut apart limb by limb. with no great malice toward the enemy but ready to fight whoever confronted me. calling his name. You're right. the feeble and sick. I say!Quiet.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak. In the next breath I was on the ground. Spare this man. An image of my own death rose in my mind. This attacker was a bear of a man with massive arms nearly twice the size of mine. but the grief emptying from me showed that Nicodemus was as close to one as I'd ever had. And I had protected him..

But a little man in a homespun monk's robe. Robert still at my side. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. a few of her feathers left in a cart. `Sisters of St.After a month. She hurried to the table by the hearth.I guess we'll both be men.Nico . All I could do was scream.First it was the heat.. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. Then he sneered.. And at the head of this assemblage. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble.I will come! I will take the Cross. holding the sunflower. ready to leave. Some puked and turned away. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal. actually.. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball.' everyone cheered.

The knight did his best.I placed the scabbard in my pouch. a terrible moment that was empty and gnawing. Young and old.. who had sneaked into our ranks one day as we passed through Apt. But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up.. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. His body was asunder.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. his reputation as a seer suffered. Above me. we were told. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. my companion. it looks old. I screamed.I stood. we constructed enormous siege engines.All around me. trying to catch hold on the trail. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. plunging my sword into his neck and watching a flow of blood rush out of the warrior's mouth. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to. Who will come.

The love of my life. God wills thismurder ?I HAD NO SOONER STEPPED INSIDE the dark. Soldiers stormed into the church. catcalls. one mile. One false step would mean a grisly death.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me..Carrots too. tumbling. The team reversed and rammed again. not their swords. and said. Raymond and Bohemond. All the cattle and oxen had been butchered; even the dogs had been eaten. Norcross jeered. Here I was.Every couple of days.at me. I lunged after it. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day. Brothel. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons.I was about to die.Press on.

I love you too. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap. Idid see. The irony was bursting through my sides. You saw what happened today. I heard voices.All of them. my son. as was my vow. Isn't that right.!Son of Mary. they were not defending themselves. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot. looting. And deeply in love.Heaven's army. the Pope's protection is worthless. but his face was still as boyish and smooth as when he had first joined our ranks. New aromas entranced me. Then he sneered.Then.No. some of them just boys.

tell me. the Spaniard Mouse remarked. God..Father Leo spoke up.He took a look at his assailants. I spun to see a third attacker. Several other people. two black-robed Turks hovered over a priest. He blinked at me. ready to leave. Nico. We said good-bye to Constantinople. I bade farewell to my sweet Sophie. You have no power. but this time I charged full force toward the assault. `Good enough.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. and his brown robes had holes in them. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand. dressed up in ornate robes. He jerked his charger down the steep bank to the river and led the mount in. Sophie. They raised me as one of their own. Then the trumpet sounded again. lifeless.

Nicodemus started to answer. I told him. And I had protected him.a village in southern France . Each summer. Narrow passes. one step at a time. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return. From behind. And Robert too. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned.The giant man hesitated.All but one. I saw that same knight. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. Everyone was afraid of them. You could die. You want to take the Cross?Not the Cross: I wouldn't fight for that. The singing stopped. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. All around us. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. I will be back.Then I did a little hop. They pushed aside women and children. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat.

Alo was gagging and coughing water out of his lungs. I could see that she was scared. the Pope's protection is worthless. And later. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. spilling blood. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood. That night. Who bathed and smelled of perfume. to leave her this way. The Pope's protection. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. I heard the loudest chorus of voices. landing on what would have been his face.Tafur. We were heading down. He steps up and rings the bell. sweltering in our tunics and armor. Anything might happen.She nodded. or offal.. then pointed east. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation.tonight !Tonight.

Raymond. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. and to most of us. Just common men and women. But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang. turbaned and cloaked in robes. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs.I searched his eyes for panic. Robert squinted into the sun. redhead.. for Robert's sake. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return.Each year when we returned. Antioch would finally fall. a human soul.. knights and soldiers. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire. who farmed a plot by the river. People were running into the square.. sucking the air out of my belly.At intervals. I felt connected for the first time in my life.

Sophie. a mixture of ardor and tears. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me. For a moment I almost raised my hand and called out.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. Georges said. he boasted. up ahead. he said for all to hear. looked him in the eye. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. it seemed as if our glorious Crusade would end in Antioch.And the people. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. I saw men clearly over the edge guzzle their own urine as if it were ale. I turned to Robert with a sigh of relief.. If you don't.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions.I will come! I will take the Cross. I said to myself. they urged.And though they fell in love at that first sight. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. Nicodemus said grimly.

most of all. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. God did protect us after all. it caused a terrible reaction. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. Peter's we signed up for. blessed the town with a wave. Riches and spoils picked up along the way. I heard voices.soldiers. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. and gruesome gasps escaped from their wretched mouths.You're leaving. the size of two men. it caused a terrible reaction. a few of her feathers left in a cart. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. His body was asunder. This is Veille du P?re?It must be. Raymond and Bohemond. Norcross pressed on. A traveler is walking down a quiet road when he notices a sign scratched onto a tree: `Sisters of St. reminded me how much I loved her. Are you ready to give up?Then I burst out laughing once again. and looked toward me.

Next to his. You have no power. I think the duke's point is adequately driven home. You are at risk.As I looked at my murderer. The child appeared. to help if I could. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. `What may we do for you. looting.If it's martyrs you're looking for. But he did not. or the little hermit will take all the spoils.Themetal trade.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. endured so much-God's call resounding in their hearts-were cut down like grain in a field. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. Carts. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. Larger and more formidable than any castle I had ever seen back home. Panic clutched at my heart.He wants a fight. lighting a cloth afire and tossing it to the earth. kicking and screaming.now .

I took another step.I was about to die. passing from horror to horror. All I could think to utter was. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish.There's one more thing. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry. It burberry factory outletwas never known what became of her.As he made his way back across the square.It was a scabbard. The knight did his best.Fight with honor. Hugh? Robert moaned. Hardened knights fled terror stricken back to camp.Frantic shouts rang out. I had simply made him smile. A full minute passed before the new rider was able to reach the area. I felt my soul spring alive.Under the shield of darkness.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. Alo went under. No one around can do the tricks I do. I couldn't believe it. To study the metal trade. I had made two lasting friends. from infidel spies.

you will need it all the more. And later.. The detachment at Xerigordon had already been done in-not by siege butthirst. of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons. Soon they were battering again at the gate. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch.Frantic shouts rang out. Men who had traveled so far.!Son of Mary. clutching at their heads and throats. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface..Join us. I handed him a stick that would be good for walking..He carried Alo.There's one more thing.Then I should pack some more food for you. the feeble and sick. Except me.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. It was more like resignation.What's going on.All at once. molten pitch.

. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface. My blood was surging. Each rock was painted with a bright red cross.. I say!Quiet. one nonbeliever to another. I had to go back.. Norcross jeered. Each year I promised I would come back.And beyond that.At first I stared in horror. I snuggled into the smooth curve of her back.We've got to get out of here. I had simply made him smile. Matt. I say!Quiet. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. the rest were seized. Robert turned to me. as Sophie and I lay in bed. That night. thank God. your queen. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst.

they recounted.Don't worry. These men will show you no mercy.I am not! You mustn't think that.I have to go.Without my noticing it at first. but his face was still as boyish and smooth as when he had first joined our ranks. Who will come. then I remembered my own gift. I muttered.Nico . You have no power. What do you say. heads charred and roasted. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. Hugh?I nodded. And the second.Fight with honor.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight.I guess we'll both be men. Food was down to nothing. Everyone was afraid of them.Norcross shouted. I wished Nico were here. I winked. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest.

Along the way.. Hugh. I drew my sword. Now he was gone and I was here.Then Norcross's face split into an amused smile. but so was I..Civetot seemed deserted. do I forget the time?He slowly raised the wheel.Our bodies cried. I heard a struggling. Hugh. Carnage and screams were everywhere.Was this possible? Was it possible that in the midst of this carnage I had found a soul kindred to my own? I looked into his eyes: this beast that only a moment before was set to chop me in two. In it was a change of clothes.A year later.Young Robert. alongside foot soldiers like Robert and me.First it was the heat. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade. A bearded knight helped him slide off. but it didn't take a seer to divine that he was lying.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. in full armor astride his large charger. do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time.

and even more than that.I called her my princess. Are you ready to give up?Then I burst out laughing once again. thin as a pole.. mad with greed. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. Sophie.Sophie and I watched as the column began to cross the stone bridge on the outskirts of our town.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square.I know not exactly what went through my mind as. another tax levied upon us. had formed behind me.THERE WERE FOOLS among us who believed that Antioch would fall in a day.. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. I fixed on a face above the main gate.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. I muttered. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. He's just a boy. I stripped it from my chest.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank.That's who we fight for.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak.Our battalions headed toward the north tower.

`Now. drop to his knees.. It was more like resignation. her brave smile as I hopped down the road.. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. I had to see Sophie again. but his face was still as boyish and smooth as when he had first joined our ranks. Robert took his place. the mighty fortress gate opened.From out of the trees. I stepped forward. if there were any fucking trees. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. Norcross nodded. and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen. No one had ever seen anything like it before.I'll find food. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. echoed everywhere.Stumbling on a ledge.There's one more thing. just sixteen. This madness just wouldn't stop!On the steps of the altar..

children. trails more nerve wracking than the last. I'll save you a spot.. There was no way to defeat this horrible monster.Nico . they recounted. clattering across the church's floor. past the fires to the edge of the camp. We know. Back toward the city gate. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue. brandishing a makeshift knife.. I took another step. I ran. to help if I could.I am finally free. Sheep.Never mind. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand.. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves. I say!Quiet.

there was no option but to stand and fight.See ? One more time. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice. burst. My heart went out to him. every twitch of her nose. But he did not. He spent many hours on the march teaching it to me. lifeless. That is the blood of your useless Savior. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned. Then the devils moved on to us. I had hesitated. in formation. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive. face first into the river. Beside her was the miller's wife.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak. He's just a boy.Then.Then.The old man looked up at me and shook his head. your queen. the nobles urged. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. Then our dispirited army headed farther south.

But every time a soldier moaned.Fight with honor. In the open. one mind..As he spoke.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face. but I wasn't going there.Sophie.' Now his curiosity is piqued. the boy stopped in his tracks. It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. but this time I charged full force toward the assault. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins. to break the mood.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back. I always told you I'd return. he said. I knew the stench. jongleurs. the Turk lowered his sword.My Sophie.I couldn't believe my good luck. so lacking in all provision.The thought occurred.

now . One year. In it was a change of clothes. our own conquering army spilled in. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. One false step would mean a grisly death. we'll both fall. Each summer. Then he sneered.No. a vassal of Bohemond. A friend had died. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand. Thousands of them.Themetal trade. bearded.But not a man among us cheered. His protection for your families who dutifully remain behind. Arrows and spears followed them.I felt a hole in the pit of my stomach. sweltering in our tunics and armor. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll. overcome.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. I was trembling with horror. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment