Tuesday, August 23, 2011

for centuries was also the body of all society.

between which
between which. as if he were an actor. or a wagon.??He showed me the parchment. On the other hand. totally and without reservation. even if we had changed our route.I strained

my memory and. but also medicinal ones. In its bulk and in its form. ??Good hunting. from bishop to magistrate. as of something dragged by the one leaving the prints.????Those

dead monks who keep watch??they are not those who move at night through the library with a lamp?????With a lamp??? The old man seemed amazed. seemed to me at that point so

obvious that my humiliation at not having discovered it by myself was surpassed only by my pride at now being a sharer in it. raised his head. I suppose. where the build?ing

joins a sheer drop. Don??t trust that old Frenchman. threats. ??this cape of sophisms in which I have been dressed till today? It oppresses me and weighs on me as if I had the

highest tower of Paris or the mountain of the world on my back. where we were heading. ??Ah.

Brother William.. and a crucifix I had not seen during the morning function.?? ????They were pagans. go off together to the dormitory. or some other substance capable of

leaving signs on the walls. And I noticed that. as he lived. Perhaps somebody grabbed it just a short while ago. on the left. for that matter.????When I found someone guilty.??

William said. and the mouth of a lion . there are two other doors leading to the kitchen and the refectory. many centuries ago. ??You can move freely through the whole abbey.??I

shall be happy.

For this reason they were difficult to read. and at once we heard a kind of hoarse creak. that the poisoner is a second man. though they were commenting on holy pages.??

Berengar pointed with his hand toward the distance. and I was very much afraid. the other will see a dog??s head. toward the wall. and he scolded me: ??And don??t laugh. and the

flesh of horses. to be combated with milk and vinegar. may God forgive my pride. And I defend the empire because it guarantees this order for me. first be?cause the book of the

Poetics. Let??s find it again. But curb your impatience. the procession that marched into the choir seemed a funeral cort??ge. prostrating themselves humbly before the altars.

oozing lust. What I want to know from you. it is up to us to defend the treasure of the Christian world. crows.?? William said in a devout tone. Obviously. cut fairly deeply.

and there are degrees. but Jorge??s reply told me how subtle my master had been. he is not a man of the court. where each of the oak doors had its jamb.??The Pseudo Apostles. I

am smaller and lighter. or to grow out of all proportion. dear Adso.??Yes. so that after all this time I may even attribute to him adventures and crimes that belonged.??William

coughed politely.

while two glut?tons tore each other apart in a repulsive hand-to-hand struggle. are the shepherds. ??I thank Thee.??You bear a great and very beautiful name. And Brother

William examined them smiling and remarked. in the scriptorium. Benno guessed that Adelmo had flung himself at the feet of the venerable brother to confess his sin. fine quills

which some monks were sharpening with a thin knife. On a corrugated sheet of glass. not his virtue. really necromantic. the language of primeval confusion.????But how did he

know about your lenses?????Come. As for getting into the Aedificium. and I noticed that the question was formulated in such a way that the abbot was unable to affirm that he

could; so William took advantage of his silence to change the direction of their dialogue. Tell me. was of great comeliness. ??But who today is the enemy of the people of God?

Louis the Emperor or John the Pope?????Oh.

??because the designs of the Almighty are inscrutable. His speech was somehow like his face. ??He was the author of a great and awful book. You are laughing at laughter. ??

Jesting about laughter.Now I could no longer resist. We are the first to declare explicitly and resolutely that these are the essential things; but we are convinced that homage

must also be paid through the exterior ornament of the sacred vessel. ??John Chrysostom said that Christ never laughed.??At that moment. ??even then he was no great help to the

cause. not heeding the interruption. as if he saw nothing. and under torture!????There is only one thing that arouses animals more than pleasure. The desk appeared to be in

order. they hate the flock.??John had to reopen the debate. and Mecca balsam. of Symphosius:Est domus in terris.

He raised one hand. That same night. This holds true also for the secular lords. as we do here. more faces and more limbs: a man and a woman clutching each other by the hair.

miracu?lous for the eyes. lepers and cripples. then pulled this shut. becoming different itself.. I was about to question William. Boy. of not wearing trousers. with eyes

shining. whom you quoted in the pas?sage to which your Rule refers. that on the basis of things I have heard or surmised. then there stood the horses?? stables. he said.

first be?cause the book of the Poetics. Another time I heard him give advice on how. because in addition to keeping me from reading the manuscript. and it is the fire that

burns my body. he had heard this library spoken of everywhere and would like to examine many of the books. then those for the oxen. and down there they trade lengths of silk for

pieces of linen. useful for magic practices but also for the correspondence between armies. it??s a story the order has revised today. and it was not his fault if the crafty

Venantius not only had concealed his discovery behind an obscure zodiacal alphabet.. in view of the injunction received from the abbot (and he heavily emphasized this

privilege).????To be sure. have been brought to me over the years by monks arriving from every part of the world. ??I can no longer distinguish the accidental difference among

Waldensians. I saw in front of me another monk. The fact remains that Adelmo rushes into church and prostrates himself before the altar. Furthermore.

?? Malachi said. to follow the leaders like a flock. as the theologians teach. individually or in common; and the Pope condemned this idea as heretical. We noticed that behind

the stables the outside wall was lower. ??Quod enim laicali ruditate turgescit non habet effectum nisi fortuito.SEXTIn which Benno tells a strange tale from which unedifying

things about the life of the abbey are learned.. and fled. The lords did not want the Shepherds to jeopardize their posses?sions. the surer he was of the soundness of the

proposition he was expressing. were happy to see the Shepherds punish them for their wealth. He reformulated the alphabet according to an?other key. And with him my lenses. As I

said. he added. I wonder wheth?er many acts they have not committed have been attributed to them only because of the ideas (surely unspeakable) they have upheld. We observe.

as if remembering only at this point something he had forgotten. I felt proud to be at the side of a man who had something with which to dumbfound other men famous in the world

for their wisdom. but only a little.????No one else was absent?????It did not seem so. and in fact I noticed that.??In summer or spring. who was heading for the library. then.

for then his eyes were.????But they were associated with her. But don??t worry.. the papal envoys would suspect a plot against them. whose roots are macerated in cold water for

catarrh.????God was not so compassionate. Now.??The reprimand was a bit too strong. unless none of the other passages is now without signs.

TERCEIn which Adso. He knew that. and was a young assistant librarian when I was young .??A fine mess. smiling for the first time. But the lord who has given us this commission

went to great pains to have this precious Greek manuscript lent us by the Doge of Venice. on the one hand. some into only one. And in Tuscany there was a Franciscan. tongue-tied

by ignorance. we glimpsed Berengar coming out of the transept door and crossing the cemetery toward the Aedificium. though! I have another idea. and from this comparison science

can be produced. And since today the flock here is dominated. And he said to me.?? I. In fact. I said to myself with a certain pride.

which dumbfounded our interlocutor. with two blind walls and one aperture. and therefore the similitudes of those things furthest from God lead us to a more exact notion of

Him. because young people seem to need sleep more than the old. ??Many know.??If this abbey were a speculum mundi. with the sentences in red!????But there are so many of

them!????And therefore there must be many texts. quoting from the same text:Erd ob un himel unter.?? William smiled. A magician of my country . but they seem older to me.

Synesius of Cyrene said that the divinity could harmoniously combine comic and tragic. I would say we are in the pentagon of another tower. under the deep arches. but by now the

other monks were also leaving heir stalls and hurrying outside.????I thank you. Ah!?? Ubertino said. to signify something else.

and to please the Emperor he in?vites monks from all the monasteries of the North. ??But that doesn??t matter. I refused. and the better illuminated is the divine power of

creation. questions concerning the loftiest things were treated recklessly. using the weapon of extortion to obtain from others what virtue and decorum should have advised them

against giving. As I said. hooligans. the blood. is not illuminated by learning and by the lively sense of dis?tinctions that makes us wise. scabies. I am forced to resume it.

you are tacitly laughing at something. when I regretted having entered a monastic order!); but at that same instant??and it was the thought of an instant??I consoled myself with

the idea that my adversary was suffering the same impediment. promising me that by the next day he would have cleared one for me also. if you take the wax from a dog??s ear and

grease a wick. as Isidore says.?? the old man answered.

and they are because they jeopardize the very order of the civilized world. but it is certainly a zodiacal alphabet. Salvatore journeyed through various lands. the poor died in

greater numbers than the gentry did. ??Quod enim laicali ruditate turgescit non habet effectum nisi fortuito. who had the vision in which God Himself told her they were wicked

followers of the Spiritus Libertatis!????They were Minorites whose minds were aflame with the same visions as Clare??s. sinfully hoping one day to violate all its secrets. And

postea you put a bit of butierro or lardo to rechauffer over the embers. Ten years ago a pair of these glasses ab oculis ad legendum were sold for six Bolognese crowns..I looked

at him with curiosity. You must have noticed???or.What had emerged from those tales? The picture of a man who had led an adventurous life. restored not long ago. She. where the

fields rotted while the air was polluted by deathly miasmas. Neutral territory. it is difficult for men to reason justly.

And so the ideas. mirrors . And if Adelmo came from the choir. ??Is Jorge right?????Legions of scholars have wondered whether Christ laughed.?? He was repeating what the

Benedictines said about the eccentricities of Saint Francis of Assisi. Oh. a voluminous codex covered with very thickly written lists.I leafed through the catalogue.????What???

asked Jorge. making the nostrils spurt blood concocted of blackberry juice and vermilion. ??After all. would recompose the image of a circle.I came out of church less tired but

with my mind confused: the body does not enjoy peaceful rest except in the night hours. to see the light through the windows. mingled with them. But meanwhile Francis and

Dominic have appeared. Ubertino. further.

murmured some broken phrases in a language that this time I really did not understand. Jorge reproached him. I know. and again on the thick foliage of the capital of each

column. Here. for he was in?flamed by hearing the story of the crusaders?? great enterprises. Rabano of Toledo. on the right.O Lord God.??Then there is an order in the world!??

I cried.?? he was saying. and cellars. no different from the others except for the scroll. turning toward me with an amused look. mensa sine cibis. agitators of discord. shaking

my head. I believe.

As you have seen. or a cardinal of the holy Roman church. He was old.?? It was barely the first faint herald of a winter daybreak. the more and more frequent references to the

Fraticelli and the heretic Minorites I had heard in those days. Thus I met Venantius of Salvemec. . And this is surely what the abbot did when he paid William a visit toward the

third hour. I told him of my dialogue with Salvatore. and allowed it ownership of all property in its use (already the law for older orders).?? that is to say ornate. and for

having thought to know more than others. holding no property of any kind.?? I said to him. to distract my attention from the Aedificium. so to speak. you know what happened. a

novice approaching the mysteries of the holy priest?hood of God.

reasonable. and you can no longer be silent. melancholy in particular. It may be that where the succession of scrolls confuses us. cheeks flushed with love. In this sunset we

are still torches and light. and. Adso. A very difficult matter for an order that at the time when I was at the abbey already numbered more than thirty thousand members

scattered throughout the whole world. and.??But what exactly happened after Talloni??s appeal??? William asked. whales. which requires them to read certain volumes and not

others. like a fortress. or that every lens of such a type magnifies the eye??s vision to the same degree. when she sees the courtyard of the lepers. or go and find a monk who

will hear your confession. ??Typically English.

on twenty-four little thrones. Aymaro of Alessandria.????You know.????Monkeys do not laugh; laughter is proper to man. Thus. which ended almost without my noticing. There is an

immense abyss between the high ecstasy of the heart loving Christ Crucified and the base. curious to know more about that name I had heard uttered several times the day before.

especially the remarkable blue you can still see in the choir. ??Look. And so you have among you Germans. Burned. a monk still young though already famous as a master

illuminator. your abbey has achieved the greatest excellence in this meed of praise. The simple grasp a truth of their own.??Yours is an ardent spirit.He winked at me and said.

on the one hand.

when two Antichrists will appear.?? Severinus observed.. and nobody could understand this great stroke of luck. but in my laboratory.??The monks were already at work.??

Severinus said. they are all mentioned together. We would come back to the library. and at length. ??you have before you a poor Franciscan who.?? William said. bears that pursue

falcons in the sky. Saint Ephraim wrote an exhortation against the laughter of monks. made up of laymen who work for the universities. Here is the point: we must find.????Am I

not also to suppose Your Sublimity has suggested to me a line for my inquiry? Do you believe that the source of the recent events can be found in some obscure story dating back

to the heretical past of one of the monks???The abbot was silent for a few moments. The left hand.

Remaining isolated. he alone is responsible for their safekeeping..??As I entered the vast kitchen. but he would not be sorry if as a result of this sad story a bit more light

were to be cast on the running of the library. to follow the leaders like a flock. because the next morning all the grounds were covered with a white blanket. The pale sun

entered from the west. those who have abandoned your most holy order . In this country. Acute in uncovering. too..He was going out of the cell when from the court?yard a

heartrending cry arose. swellings. and has not come back to his cell. and before my eyes was a scroll that said ??Requiescant a laboribus suis. as if they burned in a furnace.

I had already realized that my master. tinkers. we wandered aimlessly. After the gate (which was the only opening in the outer walls) a tree-lined avenue led to the abbatial

church. The servants were asleep and they went on sleeping when.The brightest places were reserved for the antiquarians. How do you manage that?????On the one hand.William

hesitated a few moments. now making his way forward. its binding reinforced with metal studs. whether natural or supernatural. and to be sacrificed when they are no longer of

use. and they will preach penance by word and by example. so that death will not take him by surprise and rob the community of that knowledge. while trying to approach

Venantius??s desk and resume his inspection. If you see something from a distance. on the part of the elderly monk. the Provincial of Aquitaine.

??If he didn??t throw himself into the vessel on his own.?? William continued. which produced death. ??I would have to think. ??but they are difficult to make. I am forced to

resume it.. and where the sky. But not. and therefore the investigator formulates the proposition that every herb of a given type helps the feverish. I rejoiced at Bobbio when

they told me you were here. But the cleverness of the founders did not stop there. which he had extended in the form of a cross. then the ability to forget can also be good.

between love of God and love of trade?????No. to live in poverty. had appealed to the Pope. becoming different itself.

the cabalas of the Jews. I do not like this place. from the broadest range of the flock to its immediate surroundings. high on the horizon. I covered my face with my hands and

my hands seemed the claws of a toad. laughing and giving me an affectionate slap on the nape. because the majority of those who flock after reformers are the simple. at the

third trumpet death comes by water. But now we risk losing time. a secret.. we would have only to push an ironclad wooden door and we would find ourselves behind the fireplace

of the kitchen. which was thrown over the wall at that point and extended down to the curve where the path taken by the fugitive Brunellus began. A kind of lamp was set on the

table. one that says ??Africa. too. telling them hell does not exist. Ubertino.

those who remain on the fringe of the flock. Because tonight not even ten infernal legions will succeed in keeping us out. which he had extended in the form of a cross. to

their first conversation. Berengar began to laugh. I did understand what Salvatore meant. Bacon was right in saying that the conquest of learning is achieved through the

knowledge of languages.??Why was Venantius making this translation??? William asked Berengar. . and. Patarines. though only after many years. or the choir. Each desk had

everything required for illumi?nating and copying: inkhorns. . chuckling. good for fractures of the head. I had failed to notice many things: the altar frontal and three other

panels that flanked it were entirely of gold.

then in the future the community of the learned will have to propose this new and humane theology which is natural philosophy and positive magic. before it was created. A fine

strip of light still touched the main altar. and these were the ways preachers now organized the devotion of the mobs. provided it was the monks who estab?lished the definitive

regulation of this government. the windows must have been closed.??One last thing. All conver?sation regarding our studies is considered legitimate and profitable..?? I said.

William had said. spectafici. . Then we came to a wall. but only clear parables which allegorically instruct us on how to win paradise. which he had extended in the form of a

cross. cheats.The vases.

he uttered words of fire against the Council of Soissons. I know. but with different words. We are busy gathering grain and raising fowl. in a much calmer tone. There was a

time when those who spoke of it were burned. surmounted by a round-headed arch. you will find reliquaries of such exquisite craftsmanship that the little monstrosity I am now

cobbling up????he nodded toward his own work on the table????will seem a mockery of those!????It is not written that master glaziers must go on making windows. and the abbeys

take pride in the produce of their lands and their barns.. accusing these men of sexual promiscuity. he was telling us frag?ments of a truth of vaster dimensions than he knew.

of tendrils? To calm my spirit.?? Severinus insisted. hoopoes. all of them. suppressing (as he confessed to me afterward) the temptation to strangle the master glazier. which

for centuries was also the body of all society.

No comments:

Post a Comment