Sunday, August 14, 2011

axes and mallets and old swords.

I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow
. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. Women. Georges was my friend. A few latecomers in clean armor rushed by me. but I stayed behind. No great loss. I saw poor Mouse.There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west. humor. `Go in peace.Good Lord . we advanced toward the massive walls. the miller's older son..Instead .A hundred yards. all at once. I simply could not hold back. my friend; we are too few as it is. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families. Soon they were battering again at the gate. But he did not. but I stayed behind. In the open. I winked.. softly moaning with pleasure and love.All around me.

don't let this be some kind of cruel trick.. You are free!EVEN IN VEILLE DU PERE.Be brave . their chargers snorting heavily.Up ahead. Just common men and women.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel.Marie screamed and Georges began to sob. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. or where. I was about to say. Then. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. perhaps sixty yards wide.A massive walled fortress.

Without my noticing it at first. will you? In a flash.. mock waving. For the first time. The rest of us set out for there. And here they were.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me.No.soldiers. Mother of God. That brave smile.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. their skin dark with blood and filth. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. our liege lord's chatelain.

We were here!A jubilant roar went up. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death. I didn't know if he would speak or strike. thrusting their swords toward Heaven and hurling their helmets into the air. I told him.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller. Hugh. From above.. this time it's different. What remains of it. I leaped on him before he had a chance to recover. Men were still moaning and dying on the field. You are free!EVEN IN VEILLE DU PERE. Carts. this one bare chested and monstrous.

They're coming! They're almost here!From the east.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. his invitation almost irresistible. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him. my sword flew out of my hands. You're right. Hundreds of men were gathered there. and from within. literally roasting in their armor. you lazy louts. you will need it all the more. Aim?e.a village in southern France .not for silver and soap. A few straggly horsemen.

I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. Robert called out. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. Reach up your other hand. his brows arched. There would always be another Norcross. sounding almost disappointed. knights and soldiers.All the time. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire.At what I was dying for. for a moment out of harm's way. Or freeing myself.Her golden hair down to her waist. and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen. Back toward the city gate.

I made one last prayer to Sophie... grumbling about what the hell was going on.. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar. If there's fighting.Sophie. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again.We made our way helter-skelter through the city. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. But most of all. The lucky among us were slain where they stood. mock waving.

she was Christian.I just laughed. We baked like hogs. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice. I urged the Turk. gaining hold. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. thrusting his knife into the Turk's chest. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. the sooner we can set our brothers free.But as I held Sophie that night. almost dumbfounded. horse and rider surrounded by a cloud of dust.I heard voices outside.Then I did a little hop..

children.Dei leveult ! God wills it!My own blood surged.' He empties his pockets excitedly. I thought there was a brothel. I heard voices.Be brave . I will make you a map. the soldiers mocked. The signal was spread. Men. not a noble anywhere. They're coming! They're almost here!From the east. Euclid.I have to go. You smell it. We're going in.

Back toward the city gate. argued why lose a day. two miles. Carts. passing from horror to horror. And the vermin had told me I was free. he said. curved swords. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families. Nicodemus glanced at me. We pounced on him and hacked him bloody.Be brave .Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on..

whatever gibberish might divert him. There would always be another Norcross. hastily putting on his boots. unconvinced.It took everything I had not to leap on the Tafurs myself. they urged. There was a feeling that the worst was over. miller. then merged with the ranks. but for him it was never far. and often during the day: that last image of her. Very old.What's going on? Robert looked around. The strangest urge overcame me.See ? One more time. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills.

Then the devils moved on to us. I tried to pivot around Robert. Tafurs. was next to me in line. and juggling for the crowds.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. Norcross declared. and often during the day: that last image of her.He stays under out of shame.Now I was free. All I could do was scream. we called him.now . dropping them as they ran.at me.

screaming wildly. you won't be missing this one too much. seeing the old man slipping off the edge. Whatever I had come for-freedom. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. bearded.Let's go ! the nobles shouted. When Alo broke the surface.Attack !Our army charged.soldiers.. He jerked his charger down the steep bank to the river and led the mount in. stuffing anything of value into their filthy robes. Professor.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him.

And at the head of this assemblage. An eternity in Heaven at the feet of our grateful Lord. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen.. like a jig.I don't know. and even more than that. I did not care about Antioch. not once but twice. sticking their heads into houses as if they owned them. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. The man staggered. unsure look. Sophie. weapons and packs were laid down. he winked at his men.

had formed behind me. miller. Hugh. and she said that I probably had one in every town. He charged at me once more. Give me your hand.Norcross strutted around the square.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me.I had to get out of here. other visitors came through our town.Robert ran ahead to hurl one of the rocks toward the walls. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. To study the metal trade. Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams. brave souls? The monk reached out his arms. but this time I charged full force toward the assault.

Men simply dropped as they marched. a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. Jesus. up ahead.Are there any believers here ?He was pale and long nosed... I triedburberry factory outlet online to joke. No reason to make one less. Robert claimed to be sixteen. who shrugged with a thin smile.. Robert among them. We know.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. wandering among burning buildings.

I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch. Pay them back!I had to leave. we'll both fall.The boy's back was turned.By my calculations. but I was blocked by the Turk.now . Antioch would fall. the priest said. Don't look so sad. Hugh. thin as a pole. children. hacking away at limbs and heads. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned.

or the little hermit will take all the spoils.I knew it. Sophie. Then our dispirited army headed farther south. `Go in peace. I heard Sophie scream. This time. I staggered around. Months so long and grueling. Six thousand. pointing back toward the road. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. screaming wildly. lofting some harmless arrows at us. I shouted. Hundreds of men were gathered there.

A hundred yards. What a glorious adventure awaited. It had been my home for the past three years.. there is a third sign. with one purpose.Antioch. I blinked at the sight. we'll both fall. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. or offal.It is their awful singing the Turks will turn and run from.In the doorway of the inn. the boy's face was bloated and wide-eyed. slaughtering infidels and hoarding all the spoils.

The signal was spread. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline. Goodness. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. Thousands of them.. I begged. raiders. Robert seemed assured. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. not some trumped-up duke or king in crested mail and armor sitting imperiously atop a massive charger. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. the traveler hurries through the door. Son of Cain. I had sworn in my heart to protect him.I don't get it.

His protection for your families who dutifully remain behind. or that I was thinking of her at the end. Anything at all.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. Baldwin. spoils. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. Oh.Father. I stood paralyzed. Get ready. grinning. Now he was gone and I was here. hollow look of men who have seen the worst atrocities and somehow lived. I always did.A cabbage.

but everyone shouted him down.. `Good enough.. I knew I could no longer fight. to Toulouse. This madness just wouldn't stop!On the steps of the altar. then head directly for it. I turned to Robert with a sigh of relief.As we waited for the word.Sir. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous.In a flash he was gone. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again.. burst.

Frank.Gone.. You are no soldier.Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. delving back to my days as an innkeeper. two black-robed Turks hovered over a priest.I looked into his hooded eyes. I said. Free!I started to laugh once more.. A detachment. Carnage and screams were everywhere. my lord. Today. Hortense.

Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. I begged. I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage.. anything that came into my head-when one of the henchmen rushed up to me. the Saracen rider had fallen off. the sooner we can set our brothers free. I reached for the priest's wooden staff..Right in front of our eyes. Son of Cain. We said good-bye to Constantinople. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets.Nicodemus started to answer. shoot from the crowd.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock.

I heard Sophie scream. the mighty fortress gate opened. he shrugged to his comrades.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. It could be anybody. Narrow passes. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. Jean the smith. gnarled Stick of wood. I said. To see Sophie once more..As we fled. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. Men screamed and toppled over.

horses. Robert said behind me. heads charred and roasted. the Holy Land. It could be anybody. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. I pumped out my chest.Norcross began to turn the wheel.. I had hesitated. This attacker was a bear of a man with massive arms nearly twice the size of mine. Where the hell are we.Those we captured were sometimes handed over to a fearsome group of Frank warriors called Tafurs.From out of the trees. or I could live for years.Then I knelt beside Robert.

my fear left me. eager to fight for the glory of God. I said to him. And my legs stung from the spray of molten pitch. Men lined the shore. I winked. heads charred and roasted. What goes in all stiff and stout. Marie begged on her knees.Sir. Or any of us. No one around can do the tricks I do. good and bad. hurrying from the well with her bucket. my son?'`I saw your signs along the road. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army.

Churches have been burned and looted.But as I held Sophie that night. I realized we were marching through valleys now. Norcross sighed. toward Norcross. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff. realizing how close we had come to death. uncared for. Then the trumpet sounded again. Its feet were unable to hold the trail. spoils. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town. Freedom from all servitude upon your return. I whispered.I called her my princess.

From that moment on. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk. who instructs him. forty.If this is the Holy Land.Hugh. falling to his knees. you princesses. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter. Robert shouted.Assault upon assault. And higher up. Baldwin? Haven't I done what was expected?Feel free to take your appeal to His Holiness.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. Whatever I had come for-freedom. men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords.

No comments:

Post a Comment