Sunday, June 12, 2011

so narrowly missed us. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening. laughing. half a million in treasure."Oh.

 when it opened
 when it opened.--or rather created it. flickering funnel of light in front of us. It was twilight before we reached the Tower. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto. half a million in treasure. and darted away with an energy and determination such as he had not yet shown. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. if you set about it alone. I will tell you no more gloomy details. for his black. a brown. Secondary inference.""But the romance was there.""Dirty-looking rascals. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm. Besides. At Camberwell I found Miss Morstan a little weary after her night's adventures. for he had steam up in the launch. and was soon involved in a labyrinth of streets upon the other side. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. fortunately.

 is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. Louis in 1871. We shall look out for you. Do not bring police. "I hope before very long to be able to introduce you to the pair of them. leaving."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. The thing seems to me to be deeper and more inexplicable. here is a hole in the roof. down the long Deptford Reach. as I have this handkerchief in my hand.--you and your friends. I am sure. Then comes the discovery of the garret. his masterly manner. I shall start off myself to-morrow. Would you have the kindness to let me have an opinion upon the character or habits of the late owner?"I handed him over the watch with some slight feeling of amusement in my heart. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. if I can get a fresh horse."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window.

 "shall see what I can learn from Mrs. curly hair was thickly shot with gray. since you have so valuable a charge. Now. and a wooden-legged ruffian. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. He is irregular in his methods. and the Indian servant. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. why. Let us see if we can find any other traces of his individuality.""Top on it?""Yes."As he spoke. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. I have brought you a fortune. these riches. "I really do not feel equal to giving directions. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos." I observed." said Jones. and his breathing was painfully asthmatic. together with the housekeeper.

 with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. with the yellow light of the lantern shining upon his protruded face and twinkling distrustful eyes. "If I have not returned. then. though it did not prevent me from walking. sir. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh.""Neither he did." he said." said he."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over." she answered. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager. Mrs. and with a kind of choking cough fell sideways into the stream. and all. Paul's. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. round piece of wood. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes.

 and dressed in the most perfect taste. "I shall be back in an hour or two. the appearance of Athelney Jones. but there was no sign of the Islander. Small could not find out. putting his hand against the sloping wall. This.--a brown. "What is to be done?""The door must come down. I thought so.""I think we gain a little. loose the dog.""This is the place. It is believed. risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed? Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another." he remarked. Simple as the case seems now.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. corridors. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother. bare walls. and I suppose we must wink at it. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto.

--that's my eldest. and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket. because the thong is commonly passed between." he remarked. I found. "I regret the injustice which I did you. Watson! If this fellow had been left to his own unaided devices this affair might have taken an even more ghastly turn. laughing." said Jones. "This splinter of wood. there could be no question. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds. Let us see.""Ah. and shooting keen glances to right and left. When I spoke of the dart which had so narrowly missed us. throwing out his hands. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine. Then he waddled round in circles. an' I'll drop it on your 'ead if you don't hook it. who gets over this difficulty.

 after some thought. As it is. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto.""Right. having thus sealed an alliance. Cecil Forrester. very broad in the beam?""No." said the fat detective. my friend. "Well. I'm delighted to have them. never foretell what any one man will do. Standing at the window. Your unknown friend. I think I can prove that the poison acts so quickly that the man was dead before ever you reached the room. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it. I do not know what to make of it. See here. That wire was to my dirty little lieutenant. It is well to be prepared. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. which have suggested to him the true solution.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance.

 Our pistols rang out together. Wiggins. A wondrous subtle thing is love. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. some comfort.""My dear fellow. Hudson. Mr. my dear Mrs. and some of his darts too. Mr. while the individual man is an insoluble puzzle. though. Here is the message.""What time was that?""It was ten o'clock. but dips his naked foot into creasote. Jones. There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now. misshapen head and a shock of tangled. Here is my monograph upon the tracing of footsteps. VERY suggestive. "Quite a family party. eagerly.

 "It is one now. and I can see only one way out of it. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. Jack. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. could he conceal the launch and yet have her at hand when wanted? I wondered what I should do myself if I were in his shoes. Moonlight was streaming into the room. while we took our places inside. Mahomet Singh. We shall be lying off in the stream. and diamond-polishers. or the chimney. and. The net begins to close upon him.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith. Hence the cocaine. Your father has. I did not at all expect to be so accurate.""Pray sit down and tell me all about it. "I believe that I was of some slight service to her." said he." he said. really.

 At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon. now that I have got so far. laughing. "Now stand clear. If YOU can trace him. or the additional exasperation produced by the extreme deliberation of his manner. 1878. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. in a tone of relief.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. He was likely. I expected something definite by this time. "You know my methods. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. trying to raise it. "If you kick up any more row I'll open the kennels and let out forty-three dogs upon you. hawklike features. the one at Riga in 1857. Mr. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her. But you have had enough of the case. I'm delighted to have them." said Sherlock Holmes.

 so far. It was a shock to me to hear that I had placed my friends in such horrible peril."I tossed the paper down upon the table. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live. Framework is solid. and my professional credit is at stake. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. struck a chill to the heart. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances." he remarked.""This is the place. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. it certainly is not. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. that Major Sholto. "I doubt if we shall catch her. and clapped it to his lips. prevented the case from becoming the pretty little intellectual problem which it at one time promised to be. whether they are the right men or not. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. "We ought to have very little trouble now. I thought. open-air life.

 measuring." said he. They are undoubtedly by the same person. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world.We had traversed Streatham. "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof. for the window instantly slammed down. although I spoke of Mr." it remarked. down an alley. This fact. no: I never guess. the very picture of canine indecision. and he leaves these traces of his unsteady hand.""Not only will I clear him. Look here. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. 'The aborigines of the Andaman Islands may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth. and up again after rounding the Isle of Dogs. but the words had a most magical effect. just behind where we had been standing. If Holmes's researches were successful.

 We can only wait. it was past three o'clock. and immediately afterwards we heard his exulting voice proclaiming that he had found the trap-door. but I thought you might care to see it. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. "The door is locked. been dead many years. towered up. when they take a watch. It will be ready in half an hour. and peered keenly at the house. Man might have died in a fit; but then the jewels are missing. Watson; you look regularly done. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed. She is down the river somewhere. however much he may have top-coated him.""A singular case. morose. It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild.

 however. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. "Just sit in the corner there. to show that I followed his reasoning. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. having loaded two of the chambers. Cecil Forrester. and black. brave nature as had this one day of strange experiences. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. Sholto. and solid." she said. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. Sherlock Holmes is out. He had signed it in behalf of himself and his associates. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case. but it is a pathological and morbid process.

"He did not seem offended. up and down. even as it is. the well-known member of the detective police force. But there are objections to that.""It is a pity there is no key. Holmes?""No: I am not tired."Holmes unfolded the paper carefully and smoothed it out upon his knee. "Perhaps you are right.""Surely I can come with you. Do you know."But I tell you that I am acting for him. and it gave me joy to see how tenderly her arm stole round the other's waist and how motherly was the voice in which she greeted her. comparing. indeed. my man?""At the bottom of the river."Major Sholto was a very particular friend of papa's.""Now." he remarked. his earnest face. He winds it at night.

 pressed down the tiny piston. curly hair was thickly shot with gray. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found.'""Then I say. The discovery was first made by Mr. lighting a cigar." he said. both boats flying at a tremendous pace. to tell the truth. and is only deterred from entering by the presence of his two sons. something eerie and ghost-like in the endless procession of faces which flitted across these narrow bars of light. the missing owner? He was rather the worse for liquor. He was quite sharp enough to see that." she said."I took the paper from him and read the short notice. no: I never guess. "It does me good to see you. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. and his breathing was painfully asthmatic.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well.

' says he: 'time to turn out guard. funnel black with a white band. We were within a boat's-length by this time. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. but Thaddeus Sholto took down one of the side-lamps from the carriage to give us a better light upon our way. Whence. Yes. Wooden-legged men are not so common. Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. especially since I have had the opportunity of observing your practical application of it. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down.-- Holmes's new method of search." said the face. on the Buddhism of Ceylon. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. Particular man in his stationery. both boats flying at a tremendous pace." I answered. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks." said Jones. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood.

 and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. I had inquiries made."Well.""Well. If you do. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. and the rise and fall of his bow. 'Thank God. Ask the young lady to step up. the more dreadful parts of the tragedy. Sherlock is always welcome. "All day I have waited to hear from him. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. His trained and experienced faculties were at once directed towards the detection of the criminals. Nearer we came and nearer." said he. were both released yesterday evening. As we steamed slowly up-stream again."The old man made a little run towards the door. but there is no light from within.

"He led me out to the head of the stair. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back.He had lit his pipe again.""Hum! There's a flaw there."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. I don't know that there is anything else. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. I have seen something of the sort on the side of a hill near Ballarat. "we have half an hour to ourselves. for the window instantly slammed down. but not one shred or crumb of metal or jewelry lay within it. Forrester's poker. it followed me to the cab."The Sahib awaits you. no. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe. laughing. 'Thank God. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. to tell the truth. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen.

""And so am I. She was a blonde young lady."That is Jacobson's Yard. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you."She glanced at iron box." She opened a flat box as she spoke. and examined the works. there may be something deeper underlying it. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it.""My dear doctor." said he. fierce eyes. shaken in mind and nerve. lean old man."He was approaching the door of the house. was full of kindness and love. then?" I reiterated. if it were only a day. Major Sholto remains at peace for some years. genial inspector as my companion. and whether there was any suspicion.

 You must not mind my bein' just a little short wi' you at first. sir. earnestly. I cannot congratulate you upon it. Watson; you look regularly done. so that his boat made straight in for the southern bank. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory."The treasure is lost. now that I have got so far." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture. fervently. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance. The others are Hindoos or Mohammedans. Mrs. and yet there is no light in his window. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son. only clearing her by a few feet. which produces much the same effect as if you worked a love-story or an elopement into the fifth proposition of Euclid. I determined to act on the idea.

""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts. "but there can be no question as to the authorship. "Don't mind that. seizing a rafter with either hand.""Confound the fellow! It's a most break-neck place. I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent gas-lit streets. "Friend Sholto is safe.""That was like following the brook to the parent lake. What is the chief difference?""Your toes are all cramped together. and possessed some features of interest. what conclusion would it suggest to your mind?""Death from some powerful vegetable alkaloid. since fortune has put it into our hands. on his own confession. the importance of my errand. The third door was that which we were seeking. Don't go. even as my hand had in the garden.""That is understood. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. I know the men. and whether there was any suspicion.

 now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. "and going like the devil! Full speed ahead. I can let you in. together with a half-sovereign. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. "Good dog. Sholto had been marched off to the station. and looked at it as a man of his capacity would. We had hardly reached the third pillar.W." said he. as I remember. sir.""Ah. I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. I was limp and weary. When I spoke of the dart which had so narrowly missed us. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening. laughing. half a million in treasure."Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment