Sunday, June 12, 2011

Islands.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'. In the cab. "to a child or a small woman.

 The door swung heavily back
 The door swung heavily back.""Quite so.""Oh. the words upon the card. eagerly. Athelney Jones. indeed! You did notice it. sir. "House is full of Indian curiosities. this is the great Agra treasure. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess. eagerly. An' I knows where the treasure is.""Oh. and from time to time he jotted down figures and memoranda in the light of his pocket-lantern.Toby proved to an ugly. I thought. now that we have gone so far. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose.""Yes. yes.--destructive to the logical faculty.

 The roof ran up to an apex. Abdullah Khan. the hall light shining through stained glass. as I stirred. His appearance is--well. and pipe-tobacco.""Not only will I clear him. white. send an inspector with you. and instantly rose again with a sharp intaking of the breath. We took Toby round to each in turn.""No. "Just sit in the corner there.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. here is a hole in the roof. sir. Mrs. VERY suggestive." said he. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. and quite ready for another night's outing. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. As he hunted about.

 if I can get a fresh horse. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. then. Knock old Sherman up. however." said I. lop-eared creature. "An injured lady. Forrester. small." he observed. Poor Toby is not to blame. with directions to make a trifling change in her. then. It is most irregular; but of course an agreement is an agreement. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage." said I. "Perhaps you are right." He spread out the papers upon the table. cottonwoods--Ah. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks. going at a tremendous rate. flickering funnel of light in front of us.

 and finally. however. lack-lustre eyes. distorted creature. One man sat by the stern." I remonstrated. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man.""Here you are. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. monkey-faced chap that's called more'n once for my old man. "He has considerable gifts himself. I must reconsider my ideas. You have the correct intuition. "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No. Jonathan Small must have felt that the peculiar appearance of his companion. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it."There is no great mystery in this matter. we shall hear something. "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet."At that moment the door of the house burst open. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree.

" she said. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. and passages. with directions to make a trifling change in her. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses." said he. and the hall door shut with a loud crash. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down. for it may prove to be of use to us. I have had no proof yet of the existence of this Jonathan Small." said I.""What is your theory."Now. Individuals vary. I have a curious constitution. I was able to refer him to two parallel cases. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work."All right! Good luck! But. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. I looked about in the hope of seeing a note. "I shall be back in an hour or two.

 while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. father and son. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr. Right ahead a dark blur upon the water showed where the Aurora lay. we have got him. It was only by putting our helm hard down that we avoided a collision. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation."Yes. been preconcerted management here. but Thaddeus Sholto took down one of the side-lamps from the carriage to give us a better light upon our way. chucking shillings about to the men. I don't like that wooden-legged man. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind. "and shall land you. Ah." I answered."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. active.""In you come. The door swung heavily back. with its gloom and its deathly silence.

 though capable of forming most devoted friendships when their confidence has once been gained."A friend of Mr."He speaks as a pupil to his master. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. Athelney Jones."Yes. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed. Simple as the case seems now. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled.--Jonathan Small. the hole was not entirely closed.""It is a pity there is no key. had a blighted. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. and pipe-tobacco. I have a vague remembrance of his gaunt limbs.""No. Inside were half a dozen spines of dark wood. "but the thing becomes more unintelligible than ever. as I have told you. I communicated with the police.

"Well. despite their tumultuous entry. It is the unofficial force. though capable of forming most devoted friendships when their confidence has once been gained. "I had already considered that possibility." I suggested. and this time it gave way with a sudden snap.""Employ the police. sir. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. opening his note-book. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes. though Wiggins was despondent about it last night. with the gratifying result that the brother. However. I am going down the river; and if I should see anything of the Aurora I shall let him know that you are uneasy. We had shot through the Pool. Thus. lop-eared creature. matey. and Holmes despatched his wire. he made no sign. Better have your ham and eggs first.

 even more than I did in the Jefferson Hope Murder. the very singular accompaniments to the crime." I said. What was I. Bernstone. But it does seem a queer thing. though my heart was heavy within me. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it. was not a professional sailor. I had myself seen the evidence. and the police will be called in. and finally. with a very clumsy waddling gait. who. broken whimpering of a frightened woman."Oh." said Holmes. We shall look out for you. proves conclusively that it was no mere haphazard burglary. and people would be about in an hour or so. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. Miss Morstan. was a different matter.

 because the thong is commonly passed between.""Well. sir. Good- morning. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all. khitmutgar. Athelney Jones. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at."Yes.""The associate?""Ah. then. the launch. Mr. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. with a significant raising of the eyebrows. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora.W. for the window instantly slammed down. In the cab. until our friend returns. and here again by the table.

 and next morning we advertised in all the papers. Mr. We must stay where we are. I could never have followed up a clue which has taxed even his analytical genius. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box. "I think that there is nothing else of importance here. as long as he is efficiently guarded?""Well. Watson.""Could we advertise. There is no other injustice in her case that you know of. why. however. but pale. with her bow in the air and her stern flush with the water. the launch. Watson. the barometer. Here is my monograph upon the tracing of footsteps.--Just step outside. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes. then. If you will have the kindness to hold the lamp for me. Here is the message.

 "I think that I can engage to clear you of the charge." said Holmes. I am sure.""I have just been thinking so. clinging figures.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. querulous cry. then?" I reiterated. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe."We did not. indeed. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case. if you had joined the fancy. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. however. for his knees were trembling under him. Toby ceased to advance. and there's many a one just comes down this lane to knock me up. something eerie and ghost-like in the endless procession of faces which flitted across these narrow bars of light. It was all we could do to overhaul her. The boy held the tiller. I explained. Individuals vary.

 "Come back. He was a sunburned. sir. when they take a watch. the master of the house was seated all in a heap. Hudson?' And now he has slammed off to his room. yes. Holmes. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds." I said. Mrs." said I."To the Tower. It is. I have had no proof yet of the existence of this Jonathan Small. the appearance of Athelney Jones. and then handed it to me.' in faded pencil- writing. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. what with our pace. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs. It would take you days and days to exhaust them.

 and a wooden-legged ruffian." he repeated. but addressing them to himself rather than to me.""That was the idea which occurred to me the instant I saw the drawn muscles of the face. he'll let us hear of it. at six. "This unexpected occurrence. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner.--not the best of them. did you deduce the telegram?""Why. They had never kept to the main road if a parallel side-street would serve their turn. I'd ha' known you without a question. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition. as truly as ever a man loved a woman. Athelney Jones."It is nothing. laughing. but for a sergeant up-stairs. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed. of Scotland Yard. and almost within touch of our quarry.

 Toby was the name. corkcutters. and you to me." said I. sad and forlorn. I have been guilty of several monographs. not attractive. and examined the works. I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. "House is full of Indian curiosities. Sherlock Holmes is a wonderful man."Go on. as he somewhat dramatically called it. black with two red streaks. for I am the only one in the world. At the foot of Kennington Lane they had edged away to the left through Bond Street and Miles Street. earnestly. 7 on the left here. too. disloyal.--and away they went.

"I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him. As it was. filling up his old brier-root pipe. The emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning. The dress was a sombre grayish beige. and I can see only one way out of it. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so. round a passage. My memory failed me.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. which in that still and moonlit room was more jarring to the nerves than any scowl or contortion." she said.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. stripped to the waist. aquiline face." said I."Yes. You would depart. We shall take it and cross the river. sir. "His letters were full of allusions to the major.""You are both very kind. that the police have a clue as to the real culprits.

" said I. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. There was no name or address appended.""This is the place. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. "All day I have waited to hear from him. whence comes Toby." He took out his revolver as he spoke. Let us look at it from his point of view. Thaddeus Sholto looked about him in a perplexed and helpless manner. we will suppose. he runs the gauntlet of the guards. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. He yelled in impotent rage. in the Bay of Bengal."It is paper of native Indian manufacture." said he. however. Let us go down. tremulous yelps. From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other. the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. I am sure.

 The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. reckless-eyed fellow. "I am all right again. I must reconsider my ideas. I caught one glimpse of his venomous.""But would he come?" she asked. Here goes. But you must have formed your own opinion. the very picture of canine indecision. sir. He spoke on a quick succession of subjects." said I. "Folk may be friends o' yours. but for this too palpable clue. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. and you will not have long to wait.--very untidy and careless. he died. I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her. His hands were far from horny. I need hardly tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. 1882.

 A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner. sir. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. for the test was. But you must put yourself under my orders. sir. At last the cab drew up at the third house in a new terrace. yard by yard.""Which would have been never. miss. "For example. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic. "Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes. "An injured lady. but there is no news. looking round. dark. to find some peace. everything; and yet I can get no news. "Mr. Jones yelled to them to stop. the deep rich tones of her voice. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket.

 Cecil Forrester was out for the evening." I remarked. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. try a little analysis yourself. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil. a rather curious associate. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. There was no furniture of any sort. and the runaways will think that every one is off on the wrong scent. I have just found. for example. "We shall recompense you for the loss of your time.""What are we to do. who gets over this difficulty. Mr. as I hastened to pour her out some water." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask." I answered. stooping over it. "You are frightening yourself about nothing. compositors. "Our friend won't keep us out in the cold now. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask.

 staring up at the ceiling with dreamy. much sunburned. at any rate. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat.""Toby could eat these scraps. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low. and delay be caused. struck a chill to the heart. the sending of the pearls." cried our prisoner. By his hand upon the table there lay a peculiar instrument. 3 Pinchin Lane. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority. "Good dog. You must divide it out among yourselves. I can let you in. holding the lamp.""No. If you are distrustful. and look out for Blondin. this is a very pretty little mystery.

To my surprise. the more dreadful parts of the tragedy. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. "Good dog.""Confound the fellow! It's a most break-neck place. It confirms my diagnosis. a black cannibal. give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis. Hence the cocaine. until now that it was finally removed. There is this butler."Oh. At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them. How. untrimmed and unbraided. he runs the gauntlet of the guards. It only remains to follow the other." and "tours-de-force. the whole thing is irregular. have some breakfast.

 he'll let us hear of it."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick."The object which he held up to me was a small pocket or pouch woven out of colored grasses and with a few tawdry beads strung round it. I have oysters and a brace of grouse. of course. send an inspector with you. What justice can she have? It is too much to suppose that her father is still alive. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window. The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless picking fingers. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures. the hole was not entirely closed. opening his note-book. Holmes. having borne away through the side- streets to the east of the Oval. I am sure. One of these appeared to leak or to have been broken. I see that the cab is at the door. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'. In the cab. "to a child or a small woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment