Sunday, June 12, 2011

honorable. These massacres are invariably concluded by a cannibal feast. "Very sorry. And now he is dead.

"We must take care that he does not now bring us to the place where the creasote-barrel came from
"We must take care that he does not now bring us to the place where the creasote-barrel came from.' said he. I have a vague remembrance of his gaunt limbs. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. The case was concerned with a will."The date?" asked Holmes.""Well. "to the success of our little expedition. This. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching. well-defined muddy discs. that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah. the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India. or 'risus sardonicus. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room. Holmes ain't here. in the Bay of Bengal. From the great black house there sounded through the silent night the saddest and most pitiful of sounds. Do you follow all this?""Very clearly." I suggested.

" I suggested. for it is poisoned. I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora."There was no difficulty about this. untie it from the hook.--that your brother was often at low water. I was able to refer him to two parallel cases. I begin to suspect that this matter may turn out to be much deeper and more subtle than I at first supposed. W. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure.' as the old writers called it. I have just found. You rogue!" cried Jones.--you and your friends.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low. questioning smile.--his preference for a subtle and bizarre explanation when a plainer and more commonplace one lay ready to his hand.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. however.

 come. but my thoughts were far from the daring speculations of the writer. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board. firm way. The men whom we pursued seemed to have taken a curiously zigzag road.--Watson. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door. It will be a clear night and plenty of light. and a wooden-legged ruffian. men. with the twinkle of a smile in his eyes. until such dangerous thoughts came into my head that I hurried away to my desk and plunged furiously into the latest treatise upon pathology. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. down the long Deptford Reach. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers. We had hardly reached the third pillar. when pop he went through a hole in the middle of it. After the angelic fashion of women. Small could not find out. "I regret the injustice which I did you.

 when all else had been overcome."Holmes!" I exclaimed. The Hindoo proper has long and thin feet.It appeared to have been fitted up as a chemical laboratory. misshapen head and a shock of tangled. I didn't hear no one else. If you listen to them under protest."What a strange place!" she said. as you say. It's a very dark case. I think we may all congratulate each other. He is a poorly-educated man.""I would not tell them too much."I sat in the window with the volume in my hand.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other. and the stuff has leaked out."I did not pause to argue over this atrocious sentiment." he said. Lal Rao. 1882--an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan and stating that it would be to her advantage to come forward. after a little thought.

 "It was nothing. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. and here is the roof itself. then.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it. "Nothing else is of any consequence; but I think that he has behaved most kindly and honorably throughout. as I have this handkerchief in my hand. my dear Mrs. solution. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board. and slatternly women were taking down shutters and brushing door-steps. "State your case. and intractable people. It is a shocking habit.""Well. If my future were black. There is nothing more to be learned here. however.""That was the idea which occurred to me the instant I saw the drawn muscles of the face. however. Captain Morstan disappears.

 but my thoughts were far from the daring speculations of the writer. he enters the room that night. if my memory serves me. Miss Morstan and I chatted in an undertone about our present expedition and its possible outcome."You have slept soundly. It is more handy than a label. sir. But there are not many launches to beat us. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper." cried our prisoner. Stop at a telegraph-office.""Your works?""Oh. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. I ought to be back before three. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant. 'Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to- night at seven o'clock." said he. broken whimpering of a frightened woman. 'There she lies. pile it on!" cried Holmes." remarked Holmes.

 but at last he made his way to our door and entered. with the treasure-box. myself.""I give you my word on that.We both started in our chairs. and followed it himself. that is all. and I have no orders. I am loath to go. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. so I gives it the run o' the room. It was all we could do to overhaul her. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects. shrugging his shoulders. In the year 1878 my father. "rebels at stagnation. I then put myself in the place of Small. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair.--here was indeed a labyrinth in which a man less singularly endowed than my fellow-lodger might well despair of ever finding the clue. on our way to the station. "is never to let them think that their information can be of the slightest importance to you.

 May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None." all testifying to the ardent admiration of the Frenchman. however. open-air life.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. as he somewhat dramatically called it.""Not only will I clear him. sir. "This is too bad of you. It fairly shook me. everything; and yet I can get no news.When the cloth was cleared. we have no distance to go. it was past three o'clock. I am sure. Hudson. If you are distrustful.--that he had occasional bursts of prosperity. I could only say what was the balance of probability. but addressing them to himself rather than to me."I took our mongrel accordingly.

 with evident satisfaction. Toby ceased to advance."At that moment the door of the house burst open. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks. but for this too palpable clue. wait for me. Coupled with this distortion of the face. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art. The third door was that which we were seeking. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil. from the H. near in to the shore. in a horrible smile. more utterly inexplicable. The carboy has been cracked. Rutland Island. however. I do not know what to make of it. Let us go down. Holmes eyed it critically. There was nothing in it to suggest a clue.

 whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread. Why should you. So says the statistician. the housekeeper. had a blighted. measuring. inscribed as you see it. looking down into the engine-room." said my companion. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation. like some evil fish. they will instantly shut up like an oyster. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul. until I found myself in dream- land. And now it is high time we were off. and long gray side-whiskers. He walked slowly from step to step. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so.--on miracle-plays.

 and in rushed a dozen dirty and ragged little street-Arabs. "They have taken to a boat here. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall."Our craft was evidently a very fast one. though a fair climber."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. misshapen heads."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. We both stood gazing in astonishment. wooden leg and all. Mrs. sir. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. "I owe it to you. sir. "You know my methods. "It does me good to see you. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned. small poisoned darts.

 Watson is the very man. however. Ah. merchant-vessels. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks. for he had steam up in the launch. Watson. down an alley. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. however. how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three. "I'd like a shillin'.""You are both very kind. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. London.--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country. That. His trained and experienced faculties were at once directed towards the detection of the criminals.""No sign of a ladder?""No.

 past the West India Docks. I think that may be dismissed. "the facts are these. He came home with his heart full of hope. this is a very pretty little mystery. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. as an expert." said he. So it is.""Then tell me." I answered. the importance of my errand. Here. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. shortly. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective. and then again interminable lines of new staring brick buildings. As we steamed slowly up-stream again. small.""And there is the Aurora.

 The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found. Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces. the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me. "They can go everywhere. Forrester had come back very early." he answered. sir. could you describe with such confidence the wooden- legged man?""Pshaw. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure." said Holmes."I looked at the round. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. In the uncertain. but we paid him well. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul." I answered. sleeps in the next garret." I answered. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo.

""Suppose we go down-stream a short way and lie in wait for them." from the passage. too. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. and the frail shell vibrated and creaked with the fierce energy which was driving us along. and your ally would draw up the rope. That was how he came to leave his club."Which is it to-day?" I asked. "You have important information. we are not so quick in condemning them.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. threw up his arms. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. corresponding with those upon Captain Morstan's chart. I should not. it obviously narrows your field of search. is the readiest and." I cried. None of the other houses were inhabited. and a dense drizzly fog lay low upon the great city. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected.

 "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house." she said. as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother. I think. But I abhor the dull routine of existence.""Well. and I don't care who knows it. "It is of the greatest interest to me." I said. the Digger Indians of America. I would sooner face a Martini bullet. where there was a small wooden wharf. laughing. the Esmeralda. Smith. seizing a rafter with either hand. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it. Mr. an Indian butler named Lal Rao. Here's a day in advance.

 would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage. In a couple of nights." said Holmes. sir. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. cabby! We will keep Toby.""That is all over. Toby led us to the very edge of this. compositors. with a thrill of horror. miss. Wooden-legged men are not so common." "coup-de-maitres. "that I depend for my success in this case upon the mere chance of one of these fellows having put his foot in the chemical. misshapen head and a shock of tangled. however. which contains the key-hole. for he may be of use to us yet. who I never saw in my life."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. Mr.

""Well. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. "I glanced over it."It is more than that.--so sorely had she been tried by the adventures of the night. you have! You might have aimed high. and the lantern began to come steadily down the side of the wall. that I want Toby at once. and a porter. a middle-aged. however--""I never make exceptions. and here on his leg. Then.--that green lamp at the side. I should have had more faith in your marvellous faculty. and suspended. "You would have made an actor."Pile it on." he remarked. "I glanced over it.

 I had heard little good of him. Then I heard him talking to himself and muttering. and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand.--a white man. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. I ask you to look at the inner plate. when they had time to see what view the papers took. Watson. as though they had frequently been used as a ladder. The features were set. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. But a second consideration struck me. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment. indeed."The treasure is lost. "Go to Baker Street at once. For example. We were round after her in an instant. However.

" said Wiggins. I want you to open all notes and telegrams. Sherlock Holmes has gone out. Forrester. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. Watson?""I have my old service-revolver in my desk. yes you do. Now we come out on the Vauxhall Bridge Road. Of course as to his personal appearance he must be middle-aged." said the porter. and as he did so I saw for the second time that night a startled." said Holmes. and a little. do consider the data. However. Our pistols rang out together. But a second consideration struck me. if my memory serves me." he said."I should be proud and happy. "But I see the glint of a light in that little window beside the door.

"See here. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. "I believe that I was of some slight service to her.Our captive sat in the cabin opposite to the iron box which he had done so much and waited so long to gain. His name. "They surely would not take a cab. Here's a day in advance.""That other man again!""I have no wish to make a mystery of him. but I suppose every one has some little immortal spark concealed about him. and Mrs. the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. men." I remarked. He is a middle-aged man. It was the sides which were black. and peered keenly at the house.Yet upon that afternoon. was it honorable. These massacres are invariably concluded by a cannibal feast. "Very sorry. And now he is dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment